Sunday, November 16, 2008

Haven't had much time to draw lately. Attempting to not fall behind on school work has been a failure for the most part, but the good part is that I've (finally) managed to earn a lab research internship in evolutionary genetics with a professor who's really passionate about his work. It's nice to be able to get away from school work and have some more "hands-on" experience.

"What did you do at work today?"
"I sorted fruit flies and then tore their wings off!"
"...Oh. Well, just remember to put that on your resume."

Actually, pulling the wings off frozen fruit flies without mangling them takes much more dexterity than I had anticipated. I can probably do hand exercises (like microscale origami: the smallest paper cranes you ever did see...or not!) to improve.

6 comments:

Jon Diesta said...

"microscale origami"... now THAT's something to put on your resume. Nice sketch Abby! She looks like she's in deep thought. Wait... is that drawn on a post-it note???

Ken said...

what astounds me is that you have time to study genetics and pull the wings off frozen fruit flies, and at the same time your drawing ability is sublime! Talk about multi tasking eh??

Awesome sketch - u should paint it.

Oh, I have a particular fondness of the smell of new glossy books with lots of photos... I think its the bleach.. yum!

Glad to hear you've fallen under the Nuno spell!

Abby said...

Jon: If I ever apply for a job folding paper for ant farms (or maybe birdhouses), I know my skills in microscale origami will pay off. And nah, it was drawn on a piece of printer paper. Post-it notes have to be conserved for important things...like grocery lists!

Ken: Dismantling fruit flies isn't too time consuming, since I can usually get a sketch in while I wait for them to cool off on the freezer. I don't study as much as I should, either. :(

Nuno has caught me under his web of musical talent and fantastic abs, I'm afraid!

Andy C. said...

I agree with Ken. I'll add one thing: Beautiful lines :)

Whoa. What kind of fruit flies if you don't mine me asking?

Terri Kae said...

I have gone through so many post-its! lol - I doodle on them all the time cuz that's what I got at work.. That or the blue striped note pads, but they are so lame :|

Post-its are better!

Necodamus said...

I remember putting fruit flies to sleep in a little container box thing. We would turn up the CO2 output and it'd cause them to go to sleep. Then you open it up and keep the flow down low so you could flip them around and count how many had white and red eyes.