Thursday, October 2, 2008

Afro tree

Geese are evil.

I won't say I hate geese because they taste great with a little hoisin sauce, but they are evil. My father used to take me to a local shopping plaza that had a giant artificial lake, complete with ducks and hellgeese. At this point in time, park authorities hadn't gotten around to putting up "do not feed waterfowl" signs yet, but sometimes, deep in my heart, I wish they did. Perhaps then I wouldn't harbor such a deep-seated dislike for geese.

Ducks are docile and geese are greedy. It's a principle that I learned at the tender age of 5 after I was chased onto a bench by a particularly belligerent waterfowl. I should have known something was amiss when all the ducks and pigeons dispersed upon the arrival of the geese, but instead, I fed it. Did you know that a goose can break a man's leg with its wing? No? Well, they're also very good at chasing little kids around. What resulted was me, standing on a bench, with a goose honking for my bread (or flesh, I wasn't very good at demonic tongue/goose at 5-years-old) while my father stood by and laughed at the entire situation (a slight I've yet to forgive).

The moral of the story: don't feed a goose, but if you must feed one, make sure there's a bench nearby.

Other sketches: http://www.binkerville.com/yard/2008/?M=D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah geese are mean little fucks! I generally steer clear of "wild" animals. I used to feed geese and ducks at the pond.. but they get too comfortable and too close.

It's all good when you have bread but once you run out... BEWARE. Or just walk away quickly while the other kid's still feeding em.

Florence said...

i remember that being one of the first things i found out about you, thanks to our speech and debate class.

Maff said...

Hi Abby,

I'm not sure if you'll even see this since you no longer blog here. Not sure how to contact you, so I'll just start here...I'm sure I'll find an email address eventually :)

So...the Afro Tree. I absolutely love it!!

I've taken the liberty of using it as a background on my about.me page, and I've put an image credit linking back to this blog.

If you object to me using it, please let me know and I'll remove it. And if it's not your original work, could you let me know whose it is so I can credit it to the right person.

Thanks in advance,
Maff

Unknown said...

Hi abby Very interested in your Afro tree.I am using it for natural product labels. Please let me know if you own rights to this picture. I just need you legal permission to use your work. I also need to make sure credit goes to the correct artist.